Nestled in Nothern California’s breathtaking Napa County area, Dr. Wilkinson’s Backyard Resort & Mineral Springs is known for being a trend before its time. This luxurious spa began in 1952 and is now a reimagined wellness resort, attracting guests who are looking for a weekend of relaxation, rejuvenation, and tranquility.
Natural Hot Spring Pools
Dr. Wilkinson’s Backyard Resort and Mineral Spring – frequently referred to simply as Dr. W’s – boasts three gorgeous geothermal mineral options. A luxurious pool awaits those who love to sashay around the waters while staying indoors. Meanwhile, anyone who wants to splash around outside can enjoy two pools that are surrounded by murals and greenery.
If you want to take a break from the healing waters, Dr. W’s also has a “traditional” style pool that will enhance your stay. When you’re done having fun in the sun, check out the House of Better restaurant located in the backyard.
Serving breakfast, brunch, and meals throughout the day, you can try a range of items like Southwest-inspired plates, grilled avocado guacamole, cocktails, herbal elixirs, and homemade pies.
While Dr. W’s is well-known for its subduing geothermal pools, they’re most famous for the mud baths. Referred to as “The Works,” the resort’s mud bath treatment is an undeniably life-altering experience. The two-hour therapy is nothing less than a magical experience where your cares are melted away, and impurities, toxins, aches, and pains are eliminated.
Needless to say, “The Works” is the ultimate go-to for a clear body, mind, and spirit. The treatment begins by entering the cozy mud bath. An attendant will place a refreshing clay mask on your face, two cucumbers over the eyes, and an aromatic mist to encourage you to relax.
The mud bath will swiftly increase your body temperature, allowing for enhanced blood flow and metabolic rate – both of which are necessary to detox, heal, and unwind. From there, you will be moved to a mineral whirlpool infused with Epsom salts. Here, your tired and sore muscles will find a sense of relief while your stress levels faint in the presence of all-natural minerals.
Following the soak in the whirlpool, guests are moved to the steam room to further remove toxins and improve overall skin health. This steamy treatment is finished with a blanket wrap and a relaxing 60-minute massage, leaving you feeling as if you’re floating in the clouds.
While “The Works” is the most popular and highly regarded treatment, the spa at Dr. W’s has many other treatments to consider. Some of them include:
- Doc’s Super Soak – A soak in the mineral whirlpool, complete with a face mask, a visit to the steam room, blanket wrap, and a massage.
- Beer brew – A unique experience in the mineral whirlpool filled with ingredients such as fresh hops, barley, and local beer. It’s complete with a facial mask, a trip to the steam room, and a blanket wrap.
- Earth and Sound – This experience combines a bio-mat and sound therapy to completely energize the mind.
- Massage treatments – Escape the hustle and bustle of life with one of many massage options, including aromatherapy, CBD, and Himalayan salt stone massages.
- Enhancements – The “Doc” can offer you even more. Choose enhancements for your spa visits, such as CBD and essential oils.
Dr. Wilkinson’s Backyard Resort and Mineral Spa offer two grand accommodation options for guests: the hotel and the houses.
Guest rooms come in various sizes and options to suit your needs. For example, you can find Deluxe Courtyard King Rooms, Two Queen Rooms, and Family Queen with Two Bunks Rooms. Each room has an elegant mid-century design, complete with natural wood furniture. Rooms are stocked with a mini apothecary bar, 50-inch Samsung TVs, a Google Nest, and more.
Dr. W’s has three unique houses available for reservations:
- The Victorian House – History buffs or those who love the aesthetics of the old world will appreciate this reimagined 1924 home.
- The Art House – This charming, one-bedroom home is the ideal rental for peaceful getaways.
- The Bungalow – The adorable Bungalow is a one-bedroom escape from the busy city streets, offering a lovely neutral color tone and plenty of amenities, such as a walk-in shower.
Check prices, availability or book Dr. Wilkinson’s Backyard Resort & Mineral Springs
Looking to reserve this area for an event? Dr. W’s place has many wonderful packages to cater to your needs, from the “Modern Retreat Group Package” to “Little Backyard Weddings.”
Address: 1507 Lincoln Avenue, Calistoga, California 94515