The El Chorro Hot Springs, located within the Agua Caliente Ranch in the municipality of Las Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico, is one of the most relaxing hot spring destinations in the area. Although it may appear somewhat unassuming, this mineral spring has become a well-known haven for soakers and nature enthusiasts.
The thermal springs (El Chorro and others nearby) have been known to locals for many generations. More recently, the Mexican government has designated the hot springs and surrounding area as a reserve in an effort to protect the land. As a result, many of the hot springs are inaccessible to guests. However, two are open to visitors, including El Chorro and Santa Rita Hot Springs.
Mineral Hot Spring Pools
Found at the very base of the narrow Agua Caliente Canyon behind a dam, you will find the El Chorro Hot Springs. This lovely, all-natural, extra-large pool receives water from the canyon above. The closer you get to the canyon, the warmer the temperatures get – so choose your soaking spot accordingly.
While relaxing in the piping hot, healing waters of El Charro Hot Springs, guests can enjoy the tranquil surroundings. Glance at the lush green foliage or take in the steep, rocky canyon wall that sits nearby. In every direction, you’ll be met with beautiful, untouched scenery connecting you with Mother Earth.
Not only that, but many travelers have claimed that this hot spring pool houses adorably tiny fish that will nibble on your toes and legs – an interesting sensation rendered a delicacy in many areas.
When you’re done soaking in the larger pool, take a trip into the canyon and discover several smaller and secluded pools for a more private and surreal experience. Along the way, you’ll be met with miniature cascading waterfalls while enjoying the sounds of giant bullfrogs bellowing their delightful tune.
Although the El Chorro Hot Springs have become increasingly popular, many visitors will say it’s somewhat off the beaten path. In fact, many travelers have claimed that they thought they were lost before finally stumbling upon the hot spring. Here are some detailed directions to get there successfully:
- Start north from Los Cabos Highway #1
- Pass the Los Cabos International Airport
- Continue 14 miles, passing the sign for “Caduano”
- Continue 4 miles, passing the turn-off for Miraflores
- Continue another 8 miles, passing the monument for the Tropic of Cancer
- Turn left at the sign for Santiago
- Turn right at the church
- Turn left at the crossroad, passing the Santiago Zoo
- Continue 5 miles on the well-maintained dirt road
- Continue through the small village of Agua Caliente
- Continue through the small town of El Chorro
- Come to the gate and pay the entrance fee to reach the El Chorro Hot Springs
Address: Rt. 9, El Chorro, Baja California Sur, Mexico