Anyone who enjoys exploring and adventuring in the great outdoors will love the Spring Creek State Recreation Area of Lake Oahe, South Dakota. There are many activities for the entire family to enjoy, whether you’re avid birdwatchers or can’t get enough boating excursions.
The Spring Creek State Recreation Area is nestled on the beautiful shores of Lake Oahe and has a rich history. In fact, it’s believed that this gorgeous area was founded by Lewis and Clark many years ago. Today, it’s an all-inclusive recreation area equipped with campsites, a convenience store, and plenty of outdoor bustles for endless good times and merriment.
Lake Oahe Area Activities
One of 51 recreation areas on Lake Oahe, the Spring Creek Recreation Area has many enjoyable activities for everyone to enjoy. Whether you’re having a family fun day or taking a full-fledged weekend excursion, you can find experiences to satisfy your craving for adventure.
Amongst some of the most popular activities at Spring Creek State Recreation Area are:
- Biking – Biking is done along the park roads where visitors can enjoy the fresh air through their hair and a picturesque landscape
- Birdwatching – Sit back, relax, and enjoy the many fowl species, including the Mew Gull, Glaucous Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, and more.
- Boating – Whether you’re a fan of large-scale boating or sailing adventures or enjoy the serene 2,000+ spans of clear waters first-hand on a canoe or kayak, you can enjoy it at the Spring Creek State Recreation Area.
- Fishing – Many fish species await you in Lake Oahe, including the Walleye, Sauger, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, and Orangespotted Sunfish.
- Paddle boarding and waterskiing – With both options available, those that live life on the edge and those that prefer calmer travel are satisfied.
- Diving and swimming – Want to experience the beautiful, crystal-clear waters against your skin? Consider taking a dip in Lake Oahe.
- Picnicking – You won’t want to miss an enjoyable and utterly relaxing picnic at this fine location. Enjoy packed sandwiches, fruits, and other picnic favorites while experiencing one of the most beautiful spots in South Dakota. Not a fan of picnicking? You can also enjoy the on-site restaurant.
With so many activities to choose from, it can be challenging – if not impossible – to enjoy it all in one day. That’s why the Spring Creek State Recreation Area comes with ten modern cabins and 12 suites, so you have more time to explore the area’s majesty.
The Spring Creek State Recreation Area comes equipped with modern lodging. Each unit comes with air conditioning, electricity, and bathrooms. Pristine locations offer stunning landscape views and direct access to the shoreline for fishing, kayaking, and other recreational activities.
Modern Cabins – The modern cabins are a single structure with multiple rooms. They come in sizes of two or three bedrooms to accommodate up to ten people.
Suites – The suites combine multiple rental units within a single structure. Each room comes with a single bedroom that can fit two to four people. One or all four rentals can be rented at a time.
Camping – There are no campsites at Spring Creek Recreation Area. About a mile away, Cow Creek Recreation Area has a campground.
To find the Spring Creek State Recreation Area from nearby Pierra, take SD Highway 1804 Northwest for 15 miles. Turn left onto 196th St/Spring Creek Place and continue until you’ve reached your destination.
Address: 28229 Spring Creek Pl, Pierre, South Dakota 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3117
Season: Year-round (showers, flush toilets, and other water systems may be closed between October 1 and April 30)