Part of the Homestead Resort, complete with on-site accommodations, dining, and geothermal hot springs, this is a one-of-a-kind destination. Homestead Crater Hot Springs in Midway, Utah is a heated pool inside a beautiful 55-foot limestone dome.
Enjoy “the only warm water SCUBA destination” in the U.S. Locally known as “The Crater,” this natural hot spring is open all year long, and it’s especially popular for swimmers and scuba divers.
The geothermal spring is over 10,000 years in the making. It’s one of the most unique hot spring experiences in the state and something you add to your bucket list.
Since the source of the heat is just two miles from the footbed of the spring, the water is filled with minerals that can help rejuvenate your body. The average water temperature is about 90-96 degrees F.
Mineral Hot Springs Pools at Homestead Resort
In addition to the Homestead Crater, there are both pools and hot tubs filled with geothermal mineral water. All new outdoor pools and hot tubs coming in the summer of 2023.
The Crater has an enticing history. It used to be a relaxing spot for miners and workers passing through the area during the 1990s. When the land was acquired privately, the owners still decided to open up Homestead Hot Springs to the public. The tunnel project started in the 1990s. By 1996, they had finished a 110-foot tunnel along the north side of the rock formation.
Dr. Jerry Simons, the spearhead of the tunnel project, knew the importance of having the place open to enthusiasts.
“…there exists no other warm-water scuba site as unique as The Homestead Crater in the interior of the US and possibly the world where divers also have the amenities of a resort with lodging, excellent food, and other recreational activities,” Dr. Simons said.
Now, visitors not only have an access tunnel to go through while visiting but there are also new amenities like custom built-in desks and a soaking area for those who prefer a more leisurely soak.
For those who will need accessory rentals, the property offers life jackets, SCUBA, and snorkel equipment, as well as changing stalls. There are also small lockers for storage, but you need to have your own padlock. The restrooms are available in a separate building.
The lodging at Homestead Resort is upscale and peaceful. All offer terrific views of either the gardens, grounds, or golf course. To soak up the scenery, the rooms feature either a patio or deck. They are situated in different buildings each connected via walkways.
Choose from two main types of accommodations: Guest Rooms and Suites; each with a few options.
- Balcony Rooms – Both queen and king beds are available. These Garden Guestrooms sleep 2-4.
- Deluxe Cottage Rooms – Spacious layout includes choice of one king or two queen beds. Come with a mini refrigerator. These are found on the resort grounds in the “Cottages”.
- Garden Family Bunk Rooms – The bunk rooms are at least 550 square feet and sleep 2-6 people comfortably. Another bedroom has bunk beds for the kids. There’s also a desk, double bathroom sinks, and a big closet.
- Luxury Suites – These upscale offerings come equipped with a king bed, jetted hot tubs, and a fireplace. They also come with their own private deck to soak in all that alpine air.
- Cottage King Suites – The cottage suites are at least 400 square feet and feature a cozy fireplace, along with a separate living area and bedroom. There’s a mini fridge, bar, and microwave.
Check prices, availability or book Homestead Resort
Address: 700 North Homestead Drive, Midway, Utah 84049
- Monday through Thursday from 12:30 pm to 6:30 pm
- Friday & Saturday 10:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Sundays 10:30 am to 4:30 pm